Sneffels Traverse Ski Race February 12, 2017
Click here to download an even higher resolution map to your phone or other mobile device. This high resolution map is geospatially referenced and can be used with Avenza PDF Maps app for free. This is just for the technology geeks out there who know how to do this, please do not call our office to ask for help on this.
The Sneffels Traverse Race is a wild backcountry ski race on mountain ski trails. It is not for the faint of lung or faint of heart. The race will start at the eastern terminus of the Dallas Trail near the town of Ouray, traverse the along the Northern side of the San Juan Mountains, and end on County Road 9 west of Ridgway. The exact course may vary depending on conditions. This year sections of the course may be added that are off the Dallas Trail. We will try to maintain close to the estimated elevation gain, loss, and millage.
Cut Off Times: For racers to meet maximum allowed cut off times, their approximate finish time will be 10 ½ hours of skiing. 10 ½ hours will be the final cut off time. *These cut off times may be altered.
Equipment: Helmet, avalanche beacon, shovel, & probe will be required at pre-race meeting. Skis with metal edges are recommended. Exact gear requirements will be announced at the pre-race meeting the evening before.
Here are the stats with expected conditions
- Mileage: 25
- Elevation Gain: 5,540 feet
- Elevation Loss: 5,550 feet
Ouch, that looks painful. For a higher rez PDF to deepen the pain, click here
A pre-race meeting with the father daughter team (Joe and Kelly Ryan) is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. in Ridgway at the Elementary School located 1115 Clinton St. Pasta dinner (included in race entry fee) starts at 5:00 pm. The registration fee is $80. Here is what you get:
- Yummy pasta dinner on the 11th. Gluten Free past as well.
- Place to crash on the night of the 11th –– think shooting hoops and slumber party!
- Race day breakfast on the 12th.
- Snacks and sports drinks to replenish your engine at all three huts along the way.
- Complimentary certificate for two people at any of our 5 backcountry ski huts: $60 value.
- Raffle ticket for one 6 night/7 day awesome mountain bike hut trip ($895 value) on either one of our routes, plus other cool stuff.
- Your registration fee helps cover the cost of race logistics, permits, insurance, etc. for this classic winter event.
If you are still reading this, you obviously need to sign up! Here is what you need to do:
- Register for Sneffels Traverse Race with this link.
- Pay with the online payment link provided in the registration process. Remember this is a non-refundable charge.
- Ski hard, train smart, have fun between now and February 12th.
- Help spread the word.
- Show up to the pre-race meeting at 5:30 PM on February 11th at the Ridgway Elementary School located 1115 Clinton St. ( Map to the right) This is where all shuttles will be from and to and you can park your car here.
Race on February 12th and have a hell-of-a good time! Race is scheduled to start at 6:30AM, but may change due to conditions.
If you have any questions about the race, please give us a ring at 970.626.3033. If you have a credit from last year and plan to race again this year, please give us a ring at 970.626.3033.
We can't wait to see you all out there again!
Joe, Kelly and the San Juan Huts Crew
- Mountain Bike Hut Trips
- Backcountry Hiking Huts
- Backcountry Ski Huts
- Gravel Grinder Tour of the Canyons
- About Us
- News & Events
- Travel Resources
- Getting Here