Durango to Moab
Durango to Moab – Departure Dates: June 15-October 1
The San Juan Hut System Durango to Moab route consists of a 6 night/ 7 day bike ride, traversing from Durango, through the Alpine Peaks of the San Juan’s, to Moab’s Canyon Country and Desert Slickrock. This route follows 215-miles of secondary dirt roads from Durango, CO across the high alpine terrain of the San Juan Mountains to the desert slickrock and canyon country of Moab, UT. The route itself is more remote, rugged, and 25% more difficult than its sister route, the Telluride to Moab Route. It is designed for intermediate to advanced riders in very good physical condition. Alternate Single-Track Routes between various huts extend your trip and offer more challenges. Weather permitting, the Durango to Moab Route opens on the 15th of June. Please be advised that many of the single track options, the Durango to Moab Route is known for, can be closed until near the 10th of July due to potential remaining snowpack.
Durango to Moab Itinerary
- Day 1- Durango Mountain Resort to Bolam Pass Hut.
- Climb up, up, up through some of Colorado’s most stunning alpine scenery. You can either ride up the jeep road or spend almost the entire day on excellent singletrack on the Colorado Trail.
- Day 2- Bolam Pass Hut to Black Mesa Hut.
- Start the day of with lots of downhill either on a jeep road or fun singletrack. The second half of the day is a steady climb. Don’t miss the raspberries! There are several singletrack options for those looking for an additional challenge.
- Day 3- Black Mesa Hut to Dry Creek Hut.
- On this day you will ride out of the alpine and into the high desert. This day is somewhat of a rest day, mainly on jeep and dirt roads, with an optional 7 miles of singletrack. Take a swim in Miramonte Reservoir.
- Day 4- Dry Creek Hut to Wedding Bell Hut.
- Miles can roll by quickly on the high desert plateau. sage brush, Pinon Juniper, coyotes, and antelope abound here. Several singletrack options can be joined together, for an entirely separate route from the standard route (on dirt roads), or you can ride just one section of singletrack and ride the standard route the rest of the day.
- Day 5 – Wedding Bell Hut to Paradox Hut.
- Descend into the Paradox Valley through some real southwestern terrain with sandstone cliffs, big open spaces, and generally hot dry air. You will likely feel like you are at the edge of civilization this day, because you are. The final descent drops down a rough, steep, historic trail, not for the faint of heart! The Paradox Hut lies on the outskirts of a tiny ranching community and is stocked with local organic veggies when in season.
- Day 6- Paradox Hut to Geyser Pass.
- A big climb out of the desert and back up into the alpine terrain of the La Sals. At the end of the day, you will ride through one of the largest operating ranches in the state.
- Day 7- Geyser Pass Hut to Moab, UT.
- Ride all the way down into the desert slick rock of Moab! You can either take the fast track, whizzing down dirt roads, through awesome terrain or ride one of the many excellent single track routes. One popular option is to ride the world renowned ‘ Whole Enchilada’ for those really wanting to top off their single track riding for the trip. Quite the grand finale!
What people are saying
We were so inspired by this adventure, on our return, we went to find something similar for the following year and found it difficult to match.~ 2themtns, Trip Advisor reviewer