Sneffels Traverse Ski Race March 5th 2016
Click here to download an even higher resolution map to your phone or other mobile device. This high resolution map is geospatially referenced and can be used with Avenza PDF Maps app for free. This is just for the technology geeks out there who know how to do this, please do not call our office to ask for help on this.
The wild and remote Sneffels Traverse Ski Race is back this year and the date is set for March 5, 2016! It should be a great course with all the snow we have gotten. This one-of-a kind, low key, wild mountain race is such a good time that you really should check it out.
The race will start on County Road 9 and end at the eastern terminus of the Dallas Trail near the town of Ouray. Yes, this is the same exciting finish as the 2014 finish that will go down in history books when Scott Simmons and Brian Smith straight-lined it and crossed the finish line from opposite directions at the same moment with a time of 4:37:20! This is still the time to beat in 2016. This race is not for the faint of lung –– or faint of heart.
Top competitors will likely be sporting snazzy rando race gear and blazing through the course at record-setting speeds, but we want to encourage other mere mortals with normal backcountry or touring set-ups to come on out for a great event. The first person to cross the finish line in what we deem 'non snazzy rando race gear' gets an extra beer on us and a group cheer.
Here are the stats with expected conditions
- Mileage: 25
- Elevation Gain: 5,540 feet
- Elevation Loss: 5,550 feet
We have set the date for March 5th, 2016 to have the best race conditions. A pre-race meeting with Joe Ryan is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in Ridgway at the Elementary School located 1115 Clinton St. Pasta dinner (included in race entry fee) starts at 6:00 pm. The registration fee is $80. Here is what you get:
- Yummy pasta dinner on the 4th. Gluten Free past as well.
- Place to crash on the night of the 4th –– think shooting hoops and slumber party!
- Race day breakfast on the 5th.
- Snacks and sports drinks to replenish your engine at all three huts along the way.
- Burger at the finish line...... mmmmmm ....soooo....gooood.
- Complimentary certificate for two people at any of our 5 backcountry ski huts: $60 value.
- Raffle ticket for one 6 night/7 day awesome mountain bike hut trip ($895 value) on either one of our routes, plus other cool stuff.
- Your registration fee helps cover the cost of race logistics, permits, insurance, etc. for this classic winter event.
If you are still reading this, you obviously need to sign up! Here is what you need to do:
- Register for Sneffels Traverse Race with this link.
- Pay with the online payment link provided in the registration process. Remember this is a non-refundable charge.
- Ski hard, train smart, have fun between now and March 5th.
- Help spread the word.
- Show up to the pre-race meeting at 6:30 PM on March 4th at the Ridgway Elementary School located 1115 Clinton St. This is where all shuttles will be from and to and you can park your car here.
Race on March 5th and have a hell-of-a good time! Race is scheduled to start at 6:30AM, but may change due to conditions.
If you have any questions about the race, please give us a ring at 970.626.3033. If you have a credit from last year and plan to race again this year, please give us a call.
We can't wait to see you all out there again!
Joe and Kelly Ryan